Saturday, November 9, 2013

Underestimating Understanding. A siblings knowledge.

Our day was like any other day here at home with the three kids. We watched t.v, played, cleaned, etc. They made messes and destroyed the living room once again playing "the floor is lava, jump from couch to couch" game. 

We decided to sit down and watch a family movie together while daddy was at work and just enjoy eachothers company. I chose the movie Charlottes web, because why not, its a cute movie and I loved the book as a child. Kids enjoyed it and after the movie went off I went on to start dinner. 

Cutting potatoes for dinner my oldest came in the kitchen talking about the movie and informing me he didn't like it. I could't understand why and he seemed upset so I pried a little. He left the room but kept answering, mostly mumbling but upset. I had to walk to him and ask "what's wrong buddy, why didnt you like the movie?" "Is it because charlotte died at the end?". Finally getting an understandable response he informed me it was sad that they were friends and she died. I couldnt understand why he was sooo upset, I mean sure its sad, but he was full out crying. I started to put two and two together and said "is this maybe about something else, are you worried about something, baby brother maybe?" I could tell by his reaction this was right, he explained how they are friends and how Waylon could die, because he is sick. My heart sank and I had no other response than to just hold him tight. 





What do you say in a moment like this? How do you explain this to your almost 6 year old child, and how did he put these two things together. The only thing I could think was that THIS ISN'T FAIR!! He shouldn't have to worry about such things, and I shouldn't have to muster the words to explain it. And I think of how smart this little one Im raising is, sometimes for his own good. These same things race through my mind daily. CHD has spared no on in our family. Not even our other children.
Miss McKayla

Anthony!

They too have been through so much. No their chest wasn't cut open, sternum cracked, heart reconstructed, multiple tubes placed, drug withdrawl etc. But they have felt pain, and an immense amount. They were pulled away from mommy and daddy when their new sibling was born, the sibling was very sick and they never got to meet him. Mommy and daddy had to miss halloween, thanksgiving and a birthday. They were happy either way to be with their grandparents who they love so much, but they aren't mom and dad. They leaned on eachother, they were eachothers safety nets through this. 

Then you finally get to go home and be with mommy and daddy and then you find that baby brother is really sick and has been sent far away and mommy.... she had to go with him. So she misses christmas with you. 

We forget so easy just how much these two have been through and underestimate their understanding of the situation. It just breaks my heart to know that my child is so sad because he is scared to lose his "lil buddy". And that he comprehends just how serious Waylons condition is. I can't take his pain away and I hate that. 

All I know is I have some amazing kids! I am doing the best I can to raise them to be smart, courageous, caring,self reliant people in our messed up society. Thats all I can do, I cant shield them from everything, especially on this unmanned road we are on. But I will love and show love to them each and everyday. I can't explain this one to them though, I have a hard time wrapping my own brain around it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment